SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Angelfall

Angelfall  - Susan Ee I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Susan Ee’s "Angelfall" was one of the most imaginative stories I have read thus far. It was the first book I’d ever read about angels and it was very good.

This is not a dull read. Be prepared to spend a few hours and knock it out. I could have easily read "Angelfall" in one night, but I reluctantly stretched it over two days. The premise of the story–a war within the angel ranks–was divine (sorry about the pun).

Ee did a fantastic job of interweaving Biblical reference and spiritual myth to create a brilliant tale of strength, relationships and good vs evil. Penryn, a remarkably strong and self-reliant protagonist, acts as the head of her family. Her father is absent, her mother should be and her sister is barely there. Anything Penryn isn’t ready to handle she shoves into her mental vault including her unlikely alliance with the angel Raffe (wait until you find out who he really is).

The relationship that develops between Raffe and Penryn is strained. Neither of them want to admit anything positive about the other. They instantly form a bond risking their own existence to save the other.

Penryn struggles with some real inner demons (oops!) in "Angelfall". Her goal is simply to save her sister from the bad angels until she stumbles onto something much bigger. Ee introduces readers to some scary possibilities in "Angelfall"–the end of the world with angels creating havoc, beasts eating humans alive, and hybrid scorpions with wings!

"Angelfall" is well-written with great descriptions and details. It deserves a shot at the silver screen. Fallen angels, a Messenger angel, warrior angels, archangels–not a dull moment at all! I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I’m nearly done with the second installlment!