SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Deceived

Deceived - L.A Starkey I received an e-copy of this book via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts:

L.A. Starkey’s "Deceived" had to be the hardest book for me to read–the first chapters were too slow. Plus, the male characters were a bit stereotypical. Ken, a possible love interest for the main character, is a drop-dead handsome captain of the basketball team and major player.

The next obstacle for me was the cliched dialogue. The line about Tony the Tiger almost ended the journey. Thankfully, "Deceived" improved–not so many cliches and the story line started to make sense.

I was initially drawn to this tale because of the promise of a plot line centered on the Greek gods. By chapter nine the promise was fulfilled. The story picked up and I was intrigued. I liked how the author told the reader exactly what the premise of "Deceived" was about–Sam’s World Lit essay topic. Although it was a little obvious, the topic was meant for her alone.

The real story is the tale of the Greek gods, Marcus and Nicholas. The main character, Samantha, is more of a sidekick for the twins. The prophecy surrounding the twins and the Zeus/Prometheus battle kept me intrigued.

I recommend giving "Deceived" a chance. Starkey has an imaginative plot, but it requires patience. You’ll be rewarded with a unique perspective on Greek mythology. There are two more books in this series. I’m giving Starkey another opportunity to prove herself. Besides, I’ve got to find out why the main character keeps fainting!