SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

A Thousand Pieces of You

A Thousand Pieces of You - Claudia Gray Although this book was on my To Be Read list, it was the cover that caught my eye in the library. Claudia Gray's "A Thousand Pieces of You" was unexpectedly good. This was my first time reading a book by Gray. It will not be my last.

I was a big fan of the FOX series "Fringe" which is why the book was on my TBR. Gray went deeper with the character motivations than any episode of "Fringe". I really appreciated the love triangle she created which spanned the universes. The character caught in the middle questioned the ethics of jumping from one universe to another. Her concern was on a personal level. Fortunately, Gray answered on a larger scale--is it ethical to commit crimes across the different universes?

Marguerite Caine is a strong protagonist I instantly liked. She had a mind of her own and didn't let anyone alter her decisions. She even made the best of bad situations. The character of Marguerite is insightful, determined and probably a bit reckless. She leaps before thinking which is probably a good trait to have if you're going to jump between universes.

Although the concept of parallel universes has been done before, Gray tackles it in a fresh style. The technology she mentions is cutting edge and may one day become a reality. Spies and criminals jumping universes was creative and kept the plot moving along.

I loved the way Gray handled description. Her settings were very visual--Russian aristocracy, the sea station, London. I especially loved the Russian details.

Gray interjected modern references throughout her book. But, the references weren't just details added to Marguerite's tale. Those details helped Marguerite learn the truth although she was in a different universe.

Finally, I appreciated Gray's mention of the effects of global warming. She summed it up without making a political stand.

Book Two of the Firebird series, "Ten Thousand Skies Above You" is due out in November 2015.