SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Shatter Me

Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi Tahereh Mafi is a writer to be appreciated. Her style of writing is totally unorthodox with run-on sentences, cross outs, numerous repetitions and lack of punctuation. Mafi reminds me of the poet e.e. cummings. Cummings didn't use capitals in his poetry. It was a different approach to writing that helped him stand out. Mafi's style is brave and refreshing.

This non-traditional way of writing really works in "Shatter Me". The main character, Juliette, has spent a year in an asylum. She thinks she's crazy. Mafi's book reads like the ramblings of an insane person--in a good way. This is Juliette's story and Mafi lets her character tell it in the manner fitting her.

Juliette is a strong character. She has to be to have survived a lifetime of not being able to touch people and no one wanting to touch her. She could have cracked under the pressure, but she survived. Mafi peels back layer upon layer to let us into Juliette's world and discover her personality.

Another strong character is Warner. He's someone to despise immediately. But, just like Juliette, he has many layers to his personality. The more you read, the more you learn about this troubled young man.

No story is complete without the love interest...Adam Kent. At first, you're unsure about his motives. He's learned how to be strong in a world that only wants to weaken all its survivors. When you learn Juliette is his motivation you jump into his corner. Fortunately Adam isn't a one-sided character. We peel back a layer and discover more through his brother, James, and his friend, Kenji.

Mafi presents readers with a dire warning wrapped in an intriguing plot. Towards the end of the book we learn about the world Juliette, Adam, Warner and Kenji live in. It's a world that man is destroying thanks to genetically modified food, pollution, commercial farming and toxic waste. Fortunately, Mafi doesn't constantly hit us over the head with a political message. It's contained in just a few paragraphs.

"Shatter Me" even touches on the issue of child abuse--Juliette, Warner and Adam were all victims. Readers learn how their coping mechanisms developed their personalities.

I loved this book by Tahereh Mafi. In the world of dystopian young adult fiction is was a refreshing, intriguing read. I highly recommend it.

Be sure to read the novella, "Destroy Me" after this book.