SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Deviation (Clone Chronicles)

Deviation (Clone Chronicles) - Heather Hildenbrand Welcome back Ven and Linc!

I actually liked this installlment in the Clone Chronicles much more than the first book. The story moved from the first chapter unlike Imitation. Hildenbrand added more depth to her characters. And, the plot became even more twisted.

I didn't think it was possible to dislike an antagonist as much as I disliked Titus Rogen. Sometimes a bad guy has a quality that you might like if their circumstances were changed. That's not the case with Titus Rogen. He is only motivated by greed, power and wealth alone. He cares about no one.

Ven, on the other hand, matures in this book. She has a heart of gold and becomes the heroine for the Imitations. She's the female protagonist readers love--strong, caring, brave and don't forget she has a cute love interest. With Deviation, we get more of a glimpse of her Authentic, Raven Rogen. Hildenbrand left you wondering was there more to the bratty socialite than what we learned in Imitation.

We also learn more about Daniel, Raven Rogen's interest and Titus' right hand man. In Imitation he is the self-absorbed playboy. Although we learn a little about his true self in the first book, Deviation lets us know that he really is on the side of justice. Whether or not, he's completely likable is yet to be determined. After all, his love interest has been secreted away. Is he acting out of self-interest or because helping the Imitations is the right thing to do? That question kept popping up throughout this book.

Hildenbrand continues to probe our thoughts with questions about clones, their humanity and their rights. She also touches on the topic of transgender with the characters of Obadiah and Ida. If human cloning was possible, should parents have the right to tinker with their kids gender?

Once again, the backdrop of Washington D.C. gives us questions about how far should science and politics go. Titus, a businessman, has deep pockets funded by politics while hiding behind scientific research. Definitely a great plot twist.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that it ended too soon and book three isn't published yet! Hildenbrand made Deviation a true cliffhanger. Fortunately, I'll be happy to reread books one and two when the third one comes out.