SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Panic

Panic - Lauren Oliver This was another great story by Lauren Oliver! She is quickly becoming one of my must read authors. I can count on Oliver delivering an intriguing plot, well-developed characters and vivid descriptions.

Panic did have a misstep for me in Dodge Mason and his family. I could have used more description so that I could better visualize these characters. Fortunately, it didn't take away from his story. He's one of those characters that you'd like to read about in a novella. There are layers to his personality and Panic only hit a few.

The remaining characters in Oliver's tale shined. I especially loved the character of Heather. Readers should easily be able to identify with Heather. She was a smart girl who was much stronger than she realized. Another memorable character was Bishop. He reminded me a lot of what Kent from "Before I Fall" would have been like if we had spent more time with him. Another character that stuck out for me was Nat. She was the pretty little girl who wanted to be so much more. Unfortunately, she was the type who would fall for anything just to achieve something. And, like Heather, Nat didn't realize her strengths.

A great aspect of Panic was the development of the relationships. Each friendship was fully developed. I came to understand why the characters interacted the way they did. By the end of the book, I was sympathizing with Dodge. He finally realized what he had missed staying isolated.

The descriptions of the town of Carp, New York truly worked. Oliver did a fantastic job of relating the despair of its residents. I could easily visualize those who lived on Meth Row and the Fresh Pines trailer park. Anne's home and ranch were a breath of fresh air for a teen who grew up in such a poor environment.

At first I thought the theme of Panic was conquering your fears. But, by the end of the book, I realized that it was about finding your strengths. We all have fears, big and small. But, not everyone finds what they're good at--their strengths. Fortunately, Oliver's characters learn that lesson in the end.

I highly recommend reading Panic.