SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

The Bitter Kingdom

The Bitter Kingdom - Rae Carson "The Bitter Kingdom" was the perfect conclusion to "The Girl of Fire and Thorns" trilogy! Rae Carson gave readers an epic adventure complete with action, enduring relationships, and a well-crafted plot.

Queen Lucero-Elisa grew into one of the strongest female protagonists I've read thus far. The naive tentative princess became a wise, mature young lady. By this installment, she learned about her own strengths and what things she could do despite being a bearer of the Godstone.

The Lord-Commander Hector was the perfect companion for her. Both characters were like-minded. As Elisa learned to trust, she came to realize that Hector was her strength when she was weak. Talk about a yin-yang relationship.

But, all of Elisa's relationships were good ones. She made friends with those individuals royalty usually kept as servants. Elisa was fiercely loyal to these friends and would often risk her life for them. She saw the good in people. Sometimes the people weren't deserving of Her Majesty's faith, but she always gave them the chance to prove themselves.

Storm, the Invierno prince, turned into an admirable character. Carson did a great job in helping readers like this dark person--he was humane and even humorous at times.

"The Bitter Kingdom" is a testament to what a person can accomplish with faith--in themselves or in a higher power. I hated the trilogy came to an end, but there were no leftover questions.

I highly recommend the entire trilogy to everyone!