SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

House of Echoes

House of Echoes - Brendan Duffy I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"House of Echoes", Brendan Duffy's debut thriller, reminded me of the traditional suspense stories of Rod Serling. Anyone old enough to have watched "Night Gallery"?

This series featured interesting stories. Back in the seventies, they were considered scary, but without a serious rewrite and modern special effects they don't cut it for today's audience. Unfortunately, Duffy's story was lacking that element of modern day suspense.

I actually liked the plot and the characters. My favorite was Ben. He was a writer with a lot on his plate--a bipolar wife, a very quiet son who was a magnet for bad things happening to him, an infant son and a mansion to renovate. His character was strong throughout the book. Although he gave himself a mental beating towards the end, he really did put his family's needs before his own. I didn't know what to think of Caroline. Even without her condition, I think she would have been a 'pill' to live with. She was demanding and a bit of a princess. Her needs always came first. Then, you learn that her condition was exasperated by a cup of tea! Charlie was not a likable kid--too quiet and just plain weird. By the end of the book, I started to like him. He came clean with his dad. The poor kid was just too scared to speak up. Since he had no friends his age, he was willing to befriend anyone. The rest of the cast, the town residents, were throwbacks to the Stepford Wives. And just like those women, they all shared one thought and mission no matter how wrong it was.

The big drawback for me was lack of action. I was nearly sixty percent into the book before it started to really pick up. I kept reading because the story was good. Plus, it was a 'thriller' so it had to have a major climax. "House of Echoes" was reminiscent of the thrillers I read as a kid in junior high--I read above my age level starting in third grade. Those books were slow moving but you kept reading simply to find out how it would end.

I was surprised to find a moral at the end of the tale: A man doesn't need everything. He only needs those things that he can't live without. Want to find out what that means? Pick up a copy of "House of Echoes". Just be prepared to take a while reading it. You're not going to finish this traditional suspense story in a couple of days. But, I think the ending alone gives the book merit.