SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Ugly Young Thing

Ugly Young Thing - Jennifer Minar-Jaynes I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Once again, Jennifer Jaynes has produced an amazing tale of intrigue! "Ugly Young Thing" was not the book to read before bedtime. The story line was too creepy and real.

"Ugly Young Thing" picks up nine months after "Never Smile At Strangers". This time we're following Allie's life. She's been a bad girl, but given her history what else could she be. My heart went out to little Allie. She's been through so much. Jaynes isn't finished twisting her life.

The characters in this installment are well-developed and everyone has their own little secret. This time, however, the suspect isn't easily guessed. There were no obvious clues pointing to a possibility. At the top of the story, I got the feeling that there may be a relation to the killer in Book One and Book Two. Jaynes didn't make it that easy. The killer in "Ugly Young Thing" is a shocker.

There is enough description in Jaynes story to give a vivid picture without being gory. This is a good thing. When the killer, while holding a knife, ponders how easy it is to sneak into houses nowadays, it was enough for me to put the book down. The point hit home big time. I hadn't read a book that freaked me out in many years.

I thoroughly enjoyed the thrilling "Ugly Young Thing"! There are more twists in Allie's story. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for Jaynes to finish the next TWO installments in this series.