SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Enchanted

Enchanted - K.K. Allen I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

K.K. Allen's "The Summer Solstice: Enchanted" was interesting. The plot was inventive and the characters developed.

Although the story's premise was inviting, I found the book a bit slow. When the main character, Katrina, had her sixteenth birthday party on the same day as the Summer Solstice, things picked up. My patience was rewarded with action and a story line that made me wonder what's next.

I didn't know what to think of Katrina. At first you're sympathetic because of her situation. After a while, you start wondering if she's a little ungrateful towards her grandmother. By the end of the tale, you're back to sympathetic.

The supporting cast of characters--Iris and Ava--reminded me of the cast of "Mean Girls". Thankfully, their antics added a little humor to the story. Even Katrina's moments of discovery were funny (think "Sabrina The Teenage Witch").

"The Summer Solstice" leaves plenty of questions which may be answered in the second book, "Equinox". Despite the questions, I enjoyed reading the book and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little light, magical reading.