SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

Untimely

Untimely - J.  Wells, L. Wells I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Untimely by J & L Wells was an interesting read. If you are someone who appreciates romance and time travel, you may enjoy this story.

For me, the time travel portions were problematic. In all honesty, the story set in the eighteenth century could have stood alone. It was complete with details, description and a plot line involving a gentleman of money and a young servant. I would have been happy to read more about their story and what happened on their night together.

The modern story didn't work for me. Heather Richardson is a young, impetuous girl who jumps into a relationship with a man she just meets. She falls head over heels in a matter of weeks. Heather travels back in time and suddenly falls in love with another man. But, her flighty mannerisms seemed perfect in the eighteenth century.

The character of Ruben was a little forced. There wasn't enough detail about him. He was painted as a mysterious man with a temper. There really wasn't a lot else going on with him. He loved intensely, but, there was no real reason behind it.

The best character for me was Frank Boswel. He was the time traveler going between eighteenth and twenty-first centuries. We get enough back story to really learn about Frank. I was actually cheering for him by the end of the book.

Untimely has its merits--good descriptions, an evolving plot line. If you are a fan of time travel romance, you probably will have no problem with the back and forth story line. There is a second book in this series. It looks to be more involved than book one. The story is intriguing with potentially good characters.