SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

A Twisted Scavenger Hunt

Mortom - Erik Therme

I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Just how far would you go to unearth clues in a scavenger hunt? That’s the prevailing question in Erik Therme’s Mortom. I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel. It was well-written with clearly developed characters.

The plot was intriguing and had me captivated from page one. Therme’s book revolved around three main living characters and one deceased. Even the dead character was interesting. All of the characters were well-defined and is easily understood. Andy was the obsessive-compulsive type who wouldn’t let anything stop him. Kate, his sister, was a peacemaker. She didn’t want to upset anyone and took it upon herself to constantly make amends. Craig, the deceased, was a misunderstood wannabe master mind. He had a very large chip on his shoulder, and there wasn’t anything anyone could do to remove it. Mary, the crotchety aunt, hoarded objects and secrets. I loved these characters and their personalities.

Therme provided surprise throughout the story right up to the end. I got a little worried when Andy discovered the rat. I was wondering if the rat was a symptom of a bigger issue (maybe a house of dead bodies). I’m glad my concern was for nothing. I enjoyed deciphering the clues right along with Andy.

Mortom did not have a cliffhanger ending, and there wasn’t an obvious hint of a sequel. I was left wondering what was next for Andy. He didn’t seem the type to just let the story end the way it did. But, for everyone else in the book, the story ran a successful course.

Good job Erik Therme! I highly recommend this debut novel to anyone who likes to read suspense. I look forward to reading more from him.

Source: http://thewordsmithe.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/a-twisted-scavenger-hunt-a-review-of-mortom-by-erik-therme