SFBenson

The WordSmithe

I love a good book! Young Adult, New Adult, Adult and nearly any genre. If it’s well-written, I’ll read it. And, I love to talk about what I’ve written.

I have a WIP–a new adult dystopian novel. I’m also exploring short fiction.

Find my reviews here, on Wordpress, on Tumblr, on Facebook (The Word Smithe), Goodreads.com, and Amazon.

If you’re an author and you’d like me to review your book, just drop me a line. I’ll be happy to read an ARC. I always give an honest review. And, even if I didn’t particularly go crazy for your story, I will stay positive. I believe something redeeming can be found in nearly every book.

A Sci-Fi Survivor

Alive - Scott Sigler

I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed reading Scott Sigler’s Alive. It was like a combination of Survivor, Twilight Zone and Star Trek. It was a well-written tale with very interesting characters.

The protagonist, Em Savage, reminded me a lot of Katniss from “The Hunger Games”. She was tough and determined. When she was afraid she fought hard to not let anyone know. She had this incredible sense of right and wrong which prevailed throughout the book. Another character I enjoyed (and would like to learn more about) was O’Malley. He was Em’s quiet companion. He was a boy trapped in a man’s body. He wanted to be brave but really didn’t know how. Sigler made it clear which characters you were not supposed to like–Yong and Aramovsky. They were antagonists with nothing redeemable about them.

Sigler weaved an interesting plot around a cast of predominately children. I have to admit, though, by the time I got to Part Four I was just as tired as the characters on their endless journey. The story wasn’t boring. I was just waiting for something else to happen. Part Four contained suspense and some much needed answers.

Alive reminded me of Veronica Roth’s “Divergent” as well. There are symbols and alliances to them. Unfortunately, by the end of the book we don’t know a whole lot about the meanings behind the symbols. I got the feeling that there might be some hierarchy involved and Em might be the key.

I encourage readers to pick up a copy of Alive when it comes out July 14. It is the first book in a planned series. Sigler has a lot more in store for this cast of kids.

Source: http://thewordsmithe.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/a-sci-fi-survivor-a-review-of-scott-siglers-alive